It's official, United States President Trump and First Lady, Melania Trump, have tested positive for the coronavirus. Trump, who has downplayed the severity of the virus, has now contracted it.
Trump headed to his Twitter account to confirm the news that has everyone talking and said:
Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!
Both the President and the First Lady are in quarantine.
Trump does fall under the high risk category for the virus as he is 74 and also meets the technical threshold for obesity. There has also been reports saying that he suffers from a heart condition.
As the news broke on Friday morning, the First Lady said on her Twitter page, "We are feeling good" and that they have postponed all upcoming engagements.
Trump's doctor, Navy Commander Dr. Sean Conley, said that Donald and Melania "are both well at this time, and they plan to remain at home within the White House during their convalescence".
Conley also said, "Rest assured I expect the President to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering, and I will keep you updated on any further developments."
Trump is said to have had many Covid tests done previously and that his latest one was done after hearing that Hope Hicks, his White House counsellor and close confident, was confirmed positive for the virus in the week.
Trump suggested that Hicks contracted the virus from a supporter who she had been in contact with and said, "She's a very warm person. She has a hard time, when soldiers and law enforcement comes up to her, you know, she wants to treat them great, not say, 'Stay away, I can't get near you.' It's a very, very tough disease".
Donald Trump has been known to downplay the severity of the virus and to seem as if he doesn't give it the attention it needs.